Monday, May 2, 2011

Keeping it Real

Sometimes, the things that make me think a little deeper can be very strange things! Recently, I downloaded a new cd by Mandisa. The title is "What if we were real". Leading up to the release of this cd, I had been reading several tweets by Mandisa and how this album came about. She became very frustrated with herself, her struggle with weight, etc., and one day she blurted something out on twitter. Something very real to what she was struggleing with that day. I have to admit, I've always thought her tweets were more real than something I would but out for the public to see. (Let me be very clear, she is always tasteful and is never putting out information to get attention. But, she tells the truth about exactly what she is doing that day.) Somedays are up and some are down.

This has had me thinking about being real with people. I always try to be authentic with people, yet I'm not sure I really do a good job of speaking what is on my heart. Sometimes I'm not even sure what is stirring in my heart! lol  I don't always have the words to describe how something affects me. I certainly rarely have the words to describe what God is trying to do in my life. Sometimes, I'm not even spending enough time with God to give any advice on that category. Now that is real!! lol

One day recently, God gave me two situations where people were very real with me. In just a matter of "hello how is it going?" two different people poured their heart out to me about some very tough stuff going on in their life. I was blown away they trusted me enough to share this information. I was reminded that people are real, if we will just listen. And, I was reminded that my heart needs to be open to really hear what they are saying. And, I was challenged to be more real with people. They don't want or need fake Christianity. They need the real deal! I appreciate it when folks are real, so why would they feel any different?

Now, I'm not saying go and tell everyone your problems, but you know who you can trust. You know who has a heart for Jesus. You know a kindred spirit when you see one! So, share! Open up, be honest! You might just be surprised what God will do with it.

1 comment:

  1. I was just rereading this old post and was reminded again how important it is that we are real with God and others. Had a wonderful lunch with a Christian sister yesterday and I always love that she is so blunt with her life. I wish I could speak as bold and blunt as she does. It always blesses me! Keep it real folks!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts