Friday, May 13, 2011

Heaven Is For Real

This book by Todd Burpo is a hot topic right now, so I thought I would weigh in on it. I quickly glanced at it in the bookstore, and my initial thought was, "huh, not interested!" and I moved on, giving it little thought.

Lately I've heard many of my friends discussing on facebook how much they enjoyed the book. So, I thought I should read it. To my surprise, it blessed my socks off. Now, don't get me wrong, I read it with my typical skepticism, looking for a flaw. But, guess what? God blessed me anyway!

I thought the book was fantastic. By the time it was over, I saw it as an awesome testimony that could have been added on to my bible or the book of Revelations. It was a small glimpse into what God has waiting for us.  It was God blessing us, giving us hope that our faith is for real. Giving his believers another reason to hang on and know that he cares for us and he is waiting for us. There are some things we will not know until we get to heaven, but I'm grateful he gives us these little tidbits as we go so that we don't lose our faith.

There is another book written by an older gentleman called Flight to Heaven. It gives more vivid details because it was an adult giving the account. It made the Holy Spirit do summer-saults in my heart. I loved what God did in this man's life. He waited 30 or 40 years before he wrote his book because he wanted to "live out" what he saw in heaven. And he did, then he wrote a book about it. Amazing testimony.

One common thread in these books is the overwhelming love that these people feel when they return from heaven. They have an unexplainable love for people...a longing to make sure they go to heaven...a longing to make sure they know Jesus. That kind of love only comes from one place - God! It is the only thing that can transform a person overnight - or in three minutes.

Love is what makes me believe that these books are true testimonies. People don't change...unless they have had an encounter with God...then they are different forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts