Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Scripture Cures

I woke up this morning full of anxiety. I hate anxiety. Don't like the way it makes me feel...jittery....snappy....shaky...just don't like it.

Drove the kids to school...still anxious.

Got to work...still anxious.

Found this cute little scripture at http://courageouscowgirl.blogspot.com

Then I grabbed my little bible I keep in my desk and read John, Chapter 19 titled, "Jesus Sentenced to be Crucified" and "The Death of Jesus".  This is my least favorite chapter in the bible for obvious reasons. It hurts me all over to read about my Savior being crucified.  And, to know they killed an innocent man simply because they didn't understand who he was or what he was telling them, just hurts me even more.

As I was reading this, I was reminded of a phrase I use often in my line of work, "We eat our own".

The very people that are trying to do good in a community are the ones that get attacked and destroyed by others in the same community. Everyone jumps up and down about wanting progress, or wanting something new, and they want to "keep the town alive". Yet, when someone starts making small steps in that direction, they chop them off at the knees, hoping they die out, much like the two men that were hung on the cross beside Jesus. They weren't all the way dead so the soldiers broke their legs so it could all be over.

But, the bigger picture was that Jesus was a Jew who came to fulfill the Jewish law. He was the savior they had prayed for, waited for, longed for. And, when he came, they did not recognize him and they had him killed out of selfish ambition and fear.


Many times, in community development the person or people trying to be the change that the people want, are often times the ones that those same people devour.  On a larger scale, America is much the same way. We devour politicians who are striving to make change for the better. We lump them all in one big basket and complain rather than being part of the solution.

Let's not "eat our own".  Let's not be divided on so many different issues. Let's work harder to see all sides of the coin. Often times that means compromising and working together.  Let's work harder to find common ground. And, in doing this, it will help us all to "love our neighbor as ourself"...the one commandment that Jesus left for us to fulfill. We can do it.

Wrapping up, I want you all to know after cracking open my bible, my anxiety has subsided.

It works every time. Scripture cures all my ailments!

My problems still exist but God has given me peace.

My anxiety is not actually job related (today!), but reading this passage reminded me that we have a tendency to "eat our own"... so that is what I am sharing with you all.

May the peace that passes all understanding be with you today and everyday. God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts