Friday, July 20, 2012

A Tibial Plateau Fracture Sucks!

Article has been updated at the end.

Yep, that is what I said! I know I shouldn't say sucks, but there is no other word to describe this injury!

A fun factoid: Tibial plateau fractures constitute 1% of all fractures. (I'm so blessed to be in the 1% club. NOT!)

Once upon a time, before Oct. 15, 2010, I was a runner. Now, I'm not. The end!!

Honestly, the day I broke my leg, I didn't think it would be the end of my running career...okay, hobby. I loved running.  This was my new,  favorite thing to do. I had managed to keep it up for a full year! I had even completed a 5K and a half marathon. I guess you could say I got the runner's high that people talk about!  I was determined this injury would not get the best of me. I knew it would be tough, and I would have a long-row-to-hoe, but I could do it! Right?

Plates and screws after surgery #2.
And I wonder why I have a clicking noise. 
Well, today is July 20, 2012, and I'm still not running. Sure, I am partly to blame. Through the extremely long, healing process, I lost motivation. I tried to run, but my leg did not function properly. I also have a lovely clicking noise inside my knee every time it bends. It doesn't hurt exactly, but it sounds like it might crumble into pieces! And, my atrophied muscles never fully returned as good as I had hoped. (Of course some time in the gym would help that!) But, all things combined, the darn thing just won't function like it used to.  My excitement and hope have faded.

Surgery #1 consisted of an external fixator. If your doctor ever says 
you need this, run!! Run very far away. 
I always try to think positive, so I tell myself (especially right after my monthly Runner's World magazine shows up), "Tomorrow, I will call the bone doctor and make an appointment for a new MRI. We will see exactly what is going on and see if anything is physically wrong with it." But, I never make the call. Boo! Why?? Well, I'm a busy wife and mom with a full time job that I commute to daily. I'm still paying medical bills from the previous two surgeries. (Yes, I had insurance.) And, finally a little guilt sets in and I tell myself, "Well, you could at least get out and walk and you aren't even doing that, so why are you trying to run?" You know the guilt routine.

So, here I sit, having just read the latest issue of Runner's World, with my bum leg, sad that I can't run. I wouldn't mind starting over. I wouldn't mind having to work my way back into the half-marathon schedule, really, I wouldn't! But then I'm reminded that my stupid knee/leg/muscles just don't operate like they used to.
Locked and loaded. It kinda did look like a gun.
Did I mention this was the worst two weeks of my life?
Thank you for allowing me to vent! I promise to not whine so much in my next post! Really, it's been almost two years! I should just get over it already! lol

One of these days, yes one of these days, I'll be back! Not sure when that will be, but one of these days. Speed walking is sounding better and better. :)

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12: 1-2)

Disclaimer: One reason I wanted to post this experience was because I can't find many other stories of runners who are trying to rehab this injury. So, I wanted to get something out there and maybe find someone else who has experienced this. And, also I am frustrated today and I'm just keeping it real yall! 

UPDATE: In January of 2013, I started running again on a regular basis. It was a slow start, but my leg finally cooperated. I ran pretty consistent, then had my knee scoped, then continued to run up until September 2013. My leg did pretty well. I was running three miles pretty easy. I had hopped to run a half marathon in October/November.

Even though my leg was much better, I never could get back into the shape I was before breaking my leg. I don't know if this was age or momentum or what, but I decided I would just run for fun and not really strive for a half marathon again. Shortly after that, I knocked a rib out of place and that set me back a while!

UPDATE on SCOPE: In April 2013 I had my knee scoped. This was wonderful. It cleaned up some of the arthritis and scar tissue. It took care of the clicking noise.  He also clipped off some lose meniscus tissue. It was a positive move. The recovery was short...maybe 4 weeks. I had to do some physical therapy. MRI - My doctor did not want to do an MRI on my knee. He says the metal makes the image blurry. This is very frustrating for me. I do not want to have to have a surgery every time I wonder what is going on. If anyone finds out there is a way to get a clear picture, let me know!

UPDATE: It is January 2015. I haven't been running for a variety of reasons..none to do with my leg. But, for the first time, the knee is really starting to give me trouble. It gets very stiff from sitting. I actually have pain at certain angles while sitting. It's always been that way a little, but this is a whole new level. I'm not sure if it arthritis setting in or what. I've always had a small catch in the back that has not allowed me to lift my left backwards at a certain angle. I have never been able to raise my heel to my butt. This motion is impossible. I can point my toe and lift the leg, but I can't do heel to butt.  (I know that sounds weird.) That spot has intensified and gotten much worse. The stiffness usually goes away after walking on it for a bit.  It's the most trouble while sitting and during the night. I could still run on it if I were inclined.

1 comment:

  1. It's encouraging to see other people being able to run after this injury. Has the leg improved since January? Are you now running again?

    It looks like today there are more websites where you can get information and share experiences with other people about a Tibial Plateau Fracture. I find www.mytpf.com very helpful

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts